Legal Assistant needed for growing law firm in Woodbury, MN, working in the area of family law. This is an exciting opportunity for a confident self-starter who can work independently and act with tact and good judgment. Assistant must be proactive and willing to take initiative and ownership. Must have family law experience, including e-filing. Must have 5 years of prior legal experience, as well as strong computer, proofreading and word processing skills. Organization skills and attention to details a must. Competitive salary and benefits. Resumes submitted without a cover letter will not be considered.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following.
- Provides secretarial support to attorneys or paralegals
- Prepares correspondence of a confidential nature
- Arranges meetings and appointments, calendars same
- Prioritizes mail
- Answers routine correspondence
- Answers, screens, directs and places telephone calls
- Obtains and maintains working knowledge of attorney’s area of practice
- Enters time sheets for attorneys
- Has knowledge/is familiar with specialized legal policies, procedures, formats and terminology.
- Assists the firm’s lawyers in the delivery of legal services.
- May also, under the supervision of a lawyer, perform substantive legal work that requires knowledge of legal concepts.
- May draft legal documents; compile, analyze and summarize data, perform legal research through computerized networks
- May utilize software applications/databases to manage complex legal matters
- May have client contact.
- Prepare expense reports on behalf of attorney.
Qualifications and Skills
Must have 5 years of prior legal experience, as well as strong computer, proofreading and word processing skills. Organization skills and attention to details a must.