Land Use, Zoning & Development
Hellmuth & Johnson’s land use, zoning, and development attorneys routinely advise clients regarding municipal zoning ordinances and land use regulations, assist clients with obtaining governmental approvals and permits, and negotiate agreements related to subdivision and development of real estate. Their experience working with industry professionals and government staff enables them to anticipate issues and requirements and efficiently guide their clients from the preliminary planning stage through project completion.
Our land use, zoning, and development practice is complimented by our related work in the areas of business and corporate law, real estate purchases and sales, leasing, financing, construction law, and homeowner associations.
- Represent developer regarding land acquisition, development, financing, and construction of multiple apartment buildings in St. Louis Park, Minnesota.
- Represented developer regarding land acquisition, development, financing, and construction of multiple apartment buildings in Uptown area of Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- Represented developer regarding $25 million HUD loan for construction and ownership of apartment building in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- Assisted developer of industrial property with appeal of conditional use permit for outdoor storage, resulting in removal of excessive conditions requiring installation of trees for off-site screening and pavement of entire property.
Assisted Living/Memory Care
- Represent developer regarding subdivision, land acquisition, development, financing, and construction of assisted living facilities in Minnesota and Wisconsin.
- Represented developer of multiple assisted living facilities in the Twin Cities area regarding land acquisition, development, financing, and construction.
Campgrounds and Resorts
- Represented campground owner/operator in simultaneous acquisition of three recreational vehicle campgrounds in Minnesota to expand national membership camping program. Coordinated acquisition or transfer of zoning and land use approvals, licenses, and permits from Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, Minnesota Department of Health, cities, counties, and townships.
Conditional Use Permits
- Assisted developer to obtain conditional use permit for construction and operation of a restaurant with a drive-through in connection with reverse build-to-suit lease with national restaurant chain.
- Represented developer regarding conservation easement over wetland area in connection with subdivision and residential development project.
- Advised client regarding State of Minnesota conservation easement in connection with potential acquisition of approximately 50-acre island.
- Advised automobile collision repair company regarding zoning and land use regulations in connection with acquisition of land for construction of new facility.
- Represented transportation company regarding zoning and land use regulations in connection with purchase and development of land in industrial park.
- Represented developer regarding land acquisition, redevelopment and financing of medical buildings and facilities.
- Represented non-profit dental clinic in connection with real estate acquisition, financing and construction of multiple offices to serve low-income patients.
- Representation of one of largest owners and developers of office and other commercial properties in Minnesota for more than 20 years.
- Land acquisition, development, governmental approvals, financing, and construction of Hellmuth & Johnson building in Edina, Minnesota.
Planned Unit Developments
- Represented national developer in negotiating planned unit development agreement for multi-tenant commercial project including a restaurant and a bank.
- Represented homebuilder in negotiating planned unit development agreement for twin-homes development project.
Residential Development/Common Interest Communities
- Represent multiple local builders regarding development of condominiums, townhome communities, and single-family home communities, including obtaining zoning and land use approvals, negotiating development agreements, and drafting association governing documents.
- Represented large local land developer in development of a master community consisting of multiple commercial parcels and 1,000+ residential dwellings, as well as multi-family parcels, including drafting of master association governing documents and governing documents for sub-associations (CICs and single family home communities).
- Represented developer of a championship golf course and residential community in connection with a master association and neighborhood associations.
- Represent national retailer regarding multiple land acquisitions and ground leases for development of retail centers in the automotive sector.
- Represent developer of mixed-use project including restaurant, retail, and office uses based on ground lease with Metropolitan Airports Commission.
- Represent national real estate development company in connection with acquisition of gas station properties and other under-utilized sites, financing, redevelopment, and sale of build-to-suit projects for tenants in banking, retail and restaurant sectors.
Subdivision and Platting
- Represented numerous property owners and developers regarding subdivision and platting for residential and commercial developments, including negotiation of development agreements regarding grading, storm water management, public or private streets, utilities, easements, park dedication, municipal fees and charges, payment and performance bonds, letters of credit, warranties, and similar matters.
Tax Increment Financing
- Represented developer regarding tax increment financing for environmental remediation in connection with land acquisition and development of mixed-use project including approximately 170 apartment units and a restaurant.
- Assisted homeowners with obtaining a variance from building setback requirements to construct a wrap-around deck on a house that was built near the property line prior to adoption of current zoning and land use regulations.
- Frequently assist real estate purchasers, developers, lenders, and tenants with due diligence regarding zoning and land use matters, including obtaining zoning letters from cities, counties, and townships, reviewing ordinances, advising clients regarding issues and alternatives, and assisting clients with obtaining governmental approvals.
- Hellmuth & Johnson Attorneys Named to Best Lawyers in America® 2024 Lists
- Hellmuth & Johnson Attorneys Named to 2023 Minnesota Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists
- Hellmuth & Johnson Attorneys Named to Minnesota Monthly’s 2023 Top Lawyers List
- Hellmuth & Johnson Attorneys Named to Best Lawyers in America® 2023 Lists
- Hellmuth & Johnson Attorneys Named to 2022 Minnesota Super Lawyers® and Rising Stars List
- Michael Klemm Receives CAI Award of Excellence in Government and Public Affairs
- Hellmuth & Johnson Attorneys Named to Best Lawyers in America© 2022 List
- Hellmuth & Johnson Attorneys Named to Best Lawyers in America© 2021 List
- Michael Klemm Appointed Chairman of the Shakopee Chamber of Commerce Public Policy Committee
- MCIOA Amendments with CAI-MN and Attorney Michael Klemm
- Due Diligence in Commercial Real Estate Transactions
- Escalation Clause Tips and Traps for Buying a Home (or an Island)
- Subleasing and Assignment Provisions in Commercial Leases
- COVID-19 and Commercial Real Estate Leases in Minnesota
- January 1 Deadline for Preventative Maintenance Plans, Schedules and Budgets
- Crossing the Line? Obtaining Building Permits for Decks in CIC’s
- New Requirements Under MCIOA: Preventative Maintenance Plans and Construction Defect Claims
- Legal & Business Issues Affecting Contractors 2020
- 2019 Community Association Fall Seminar
- CLE: Millennials and Gen Xers Are in Your Jury – Are You Ready?
- 2019 Community Association Spring Seminar
- 2019 Community Association Spring Seminar
- Legal and Business Issues Affecting Contractors 2019
- Community Association Seminar Fall 2018
- Divorce Litigation from Start to Finish
- New Overtime Rules Seminar 2016
- Second Saturday Divorce Seminar
- Community Association Seminar Fall 2016
- Revocable Living Trusts from Start to Finish
- Entertainment Law
- Revocable Trusts from A to Z
- Business Decisions You Can Bank On
- Cyberliability Insurance Session
- Intellectual Property – Armor for Entrepreneurs
- Small Business Series: Wage and Hour Issues
- Mastering Fiduciary Accounting Income
- Small Business Series: Succession Planning
- Drafting IRA Trusts
- Proactive vs. Reactive: Charitable Giving Seminar
- 2017 Women’s Entrepreneurship Conference
- Small Business Series: Intellectual Property
- Community Association Seminar Spring 2017
- Trusts From A to Z
- 2017 Probate & Trust Law Conference
- What Can You Do With Property Nobody Wants?
- How Not to Get Sued
- Estate Planning: The Ultimate Guide
- How To Get It Done: A Homeowners Guide
- Accommodation Requests Under the Fair Housing Act
- Small Business Series: Business Banking
- Legal and Business Issues Affecting Contractors 2017
- Commercial RE Seminar: Environmental Due Diligence
- ABA Property Insurance Law Spring CLE Conference
- Community Association Seminar Spring 2018
- Preventative Maintenance & Const. Defect Claims
- Single Member LLCs
- Revocable Living Trusts 101
- Trust Taxation: The Ultimate Guide
- Legal and Business Issues Affecting Contractors 2018
- Intellectual Property: Start to Finish
- 2017 Greater Mankato MHA Conference and Trade Show
- Community Association Seminar Fall 2017
- Drafting IRA Trusts
- Small Business Series: Non-Competes & More
- Rochester Community Association Seminar 2017
- What’s Your End Game? Succession Planning
- Handling the Sale of a Business
- “Guilty Until Proven Innocent” Flooring Seminar