Biography: Joel A. Hilgendorf
As a partner at Hellmuth & Johnson and a member of both the real estate and community association practice groups, Joel Hilgendorf helps a wide variety of clients make their mark. They include commercial and residential property owners, developers, banks, condominium and townhome associations, and businesses and individuals.
While he focuses his practice primarily in real estate law – commercial and residential; both as a litigator and transactional attorney – Joel also provides counsel and representation in community association law, foreclosure law and creditor’s remedies, and commercial and residential real estate transactions. Along with the skills he has honed in these areas, he marshals broad experience in:
- Commercial and residential real estate transactions and disputes
- Landlord/tenant issues
- Clearing title defects
- Creditor’s remedies and collections
- Boundary disputes
- Contracts for deed and cancellations
- Mortgages and foreclosure law
- Priority disputes
- Partition actions
- Quiet title actions/torrens actions
- Zoning and land use
One of Joel’s particular areas of concentration is representing condominium and townhome associations. He is active in the Minnesota Chapter of the Community Associations Institute, for which he has served on the Board of Directors. Joel has extensive experience representing community associations in all of their legal needs, including:
- Assessment collection and lien foreclosure
- Covenant enforcement
- Interpreting and amending governing documents
- Drafting and reviewing contracts
- Construction defects
- Fair Housing matters
The benefits of practicing in the real estate sector are both tangible and intangible. In addition to the opportunity it provides to connect with people and build strong client relationships, my work enables me to contribute to grand undertakings - ones I can actually drive by and know I had a hand in creating.- Joel A. Hilgendorf
EducationJoel earned his J.D. from the University of Minnesota Law School, and completed his undergraduate studies at the University of Illinois, Urbana.
University of Minnesota Law School
University of Illinois, Urbana
- Licensed to practice law in the State and Federal courts in Minnesota.
- Member of the Real Property Sections of both the Hennepin County Bar Association and Minnesota State Bar Associations.
- Serves on the Membership Committee and is a former member of the Board of Directors of the Community Associations Institute of Minnesota.
- Member of CIC-Midwest.
- Certified by the Minnesota State Bar Association as a Board Certified Real Property Specialist, a designation held by a select few Minnesota attorneys.
- Active in the Minnesota Chapter of the Community Associations Institute, where he serves on the Board of Directors.
- Named to the Minnesota Rising Stars in 2008 and 2010-2013 by Minnesota Law & Politics magazine; only 2.5% of young attorneys in the state of Minnesota are chosen each year.
- Frequently speaks and presents on real estate law issues, and routinely authors articles for real estate industry publications and trade journals.
- Serves on the Edina Chamber of Commerce and Southwest Metro Area Chamber of Commerce.