Biography: Christopher R. Jones
Chris has nurtured close client relationships since he joined Hellmuth & Johnson in 2004. Today, he is a partner and a member of the Real Estate, Construction, and Litigation practices. His clients include contractors, subcontractors, suppliers, business owners, and property owners. He represents them in mediations, arbitrations, administrative hearings, and district court actions regarding mechanic’s liens, construction defect disputes, and other business and commercial disputes and investigations.
He assists his construction industry clients on contract issues, project disputes, and general legal matters, taking a problem-solving approach to resolve disputes quickly and efficiently. Chris also works to prevent future disputes by drafting and reviewing construction contracts, assisting in project documentation, and establishing preliminary dispute resolution procedures. His construction industry clients also hire him to handle regulatory and legal compliance matters on their behalf.
Chris represents both buyers and sellers in real estate sale misrepresentation cases, including arbitrations. He frequently teaches seminars on sale disclosure issues to real estate agents, who are frequently the first point of contact when a problem arises. In all matters, he works diligently to achieve the best outcome possible while trying to minimize the tensions inherent in these types of matters.
Over the years, Chris has obtained significant monetary recoveries on behalf of clients with homes damaged by water intrusion, water damage, and construction deficiencies. Those recoveries have helped homeowners get their homes repaired and resolve the ongoing issues. “The process can be challenging and intimidating for those who lack guidance,” explains Chris, “so I steer my clients through it quickly, yet aggressively and effectively, to maximize the possible recovery under the circumstances.”
Chris’s clients benefit from his focus on relationship building. “It’s all about establishing trust,” he says. “To do that, I never sugarcoat the truth but provide an honest assessment of a case at each stage and evaluate what makes sense going forward. In addition, I place a premium on organization and timeliness. All these things form the basis of a real partnership, and that, in turn, enables me to represent my clients as effectively as possible.”
Among his successes, Chris:
- Represented a homeowners association in a construction defect case, resulting in a settlement well in excess of six figures
- Represented a subcontractor seeking payment for work on a large construction project
- Negotiated a six-figure settlement with an insurance company on behalf of a property owner after coverage had been denied
- Represented sellers in a dispute over property conditions, settling for a fraction of the amount being sought by the opposing party
Chris is licensed to practice in the state and federal trial courts of Minnesota and North Dakota, as well as the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit.
A close client relationship counts for everything. It enables me to figure out the best way to resolve my clients’ disputes with the least amount of pain, and gives me the opportunity to address other issues before they develop into serious problems.- Christopher R. Jones
EducationChris obtained his Juris Doctor from the University of North Dakota, graduating with distinction. He also completed his undergraduate studies at the University of North Dakota with a Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice Studies.
University of North Dakota
University of North Dakota
- Chris was named to the 2008-2010 & 2012-2014 Minnesota Rising Stars lists. Only 2.5% of young attorneys in the state are selected each year.
- Licensed to practice law in the State and Federal courts of Minnesota and North Dakota, as well as the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit.
- Member of the Hennepin County and Minnesota State Bar Associations.
- Author of the article “An Agent’s Guide – Understanding Real Estate Disclosure Laws”.
- Serves as a commissioner (since 2009) on the Planning Commission for the City of Savage and is also a past Board member and President of The Pointe Homeowners Association in Savage, Minn.
- Served a four-year term on the Board of Directors (including one year as President for the National Association of the Remodeling Industry, Minnesota Chapter (NARI-MN).
- Elected in November 2016 to the Board of Directors of the Community Associations Institute – Minnesota Chapter (CAI-MN).